I'm so glad that this gruesome week has finally come to an end. I would call it a bittersweet end. One of the classes that I hate attending is my Sheridan class on Thursday nights....man...I could be watching the simpsons and doing a whole lot of other things. (hahah) I dont' like those classes where everyone is there and you HAVE to attend and its 5% if you don't show up. Sheesh-a-bob!
I seriously thank God for fridays. Not only do I know that the weekend is coming up, I also have a pretty interesting class to attend. Today we went to visit a Design Studio in Missisauga. I comtemplated at first whether or not I should've gone since it was so dang far. But thank God, Grace was able to pick me up at Square One to avoid the long gruesome ride. It turns out, the studio used to be a church. That was why, the name of the Studio was undoubtedly named "Faith". Paul Synch, a fellow professor in design was the founder of this studio and today he gave us an opportunity to have a good look around and have a peek at his work over the past 25 or more years. He did a lot of editorial design for the "Saturday Night" magazine and he showed us the process and changes that the magazine went through to what it is today. Its interesting because I found his earlier work for the magazine so much more interesting and playful than it is now. But he said he had to tone it down a bit because the magazine head thought it was "too much". I don't think so! His work was so imaginative and creative, so much more appealing than something so bland and uniform that headquarters usually want it to be. I don't know. =P
I think the most interesting thing he told us about was the Swiss Swatch story. I think it was back in '97 (that's when I first started highschool!), he was given the opportunity to design a series of watches for the company Swatch based on the theme of Love. So he gave in a few of his concepts and designs, then his wife, a fellow artist/pottery-maker, wanted to hand-in one design of her own. When the Swatch prez looked at the designs that was given in to him, he was so estatic, well only over one design. The design the teacher's wife submitted! From then on, it just went international. Swatch even stopped its current production to start manufactoring the new found design. It soon made its way on every fashion magazine and even Cindy Crawford and her husband liked it so much that they wore it for their wedding! That was such a crazy yet inspiring story, it just goes to show that your work can gain intermediate attention in such unexpected proportions. "It just takes perseverence" as my professor Martyn Schmoll says. So true.
Paul's Swatch watch
When class ended, Grace took me out to lunch in her m'sauga turf =) The truth was, after visiting the studio, I felt a little unsure about my work. I know the visit was inspirational and all but it seems like there's still a lot to learn and experience. Or maybe hearing and knowing all these great opportunities that the teacher have had, I just kind of wondered if any of those same opportunities will ever come to me. Anyhow, I'm still going to take my teacher's advice on perseverence and keep working hard.
So Grace ended up taking me to eat at this Japanese restaurant somewhere in sauga. The place was pretty nice but I have to say that the food in Markham is better....HAHAHA! =) Sorry Grace! When she moves here, I promised to take her to my fave japanese place...heheheh.....There was one thing that Grace told me that really inspired me today, "If you know its the right thing to do, there's nothing to fear." Man, that was about the best advice I've gotten in a long while. When she told me that, I suddenly just had this epiphany, it just became so clear to me. I guess sometimes I feel like I don't have enough confidence, always worried about the results, always worried about what people may say or think, worried X 10 basically. What those words did really just opened my eyes, when you know in your heart that you're doing the right thing, there's nothing to worry about even when people don't appreciate it. Thanks Grace......Amazing grace how sweet that sounds...that saved a wretch like me.....HAHAHA...just joking =) All have to say to her is: I want to see Tom Cruise and his sidekick and The last Samurai and his sword again. And admit that you're an Aaron Carter fan...enuff said >=)

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home