Sunday, February 29, 2004

I'm just trying to balance myself recently. The past week has been crazy but everything was handed in and tested. So I can give myself a tiny little breathing space before all the craziness happens again. Mark and I went to another Markham Theatre play last night for the "The King and I". Mark's cousin's girlfriend was one of the secondary characters in the musical. She played the princess that wanted to run away with her lover but at the end are both are tragically killed. Aside from this side story, the main story is about the arrogant yet humourous King of Syan and Ana, a british teacher from England hired to educate his children. Along with a live orchestra and great singing from the main characters, the story is such an entertaining classic. I remember watching the old school the King and I and I just laughed my head off! The king is so funny! ETC. ETC ETC,. Though he too had to face a tragic end, the movie still gives you a good feeling. Most importantly it gives you a glimpse of how the Western world has somewhat coerced their beliefs and attitudes towards the east. It also touches a bit on the ignorance that both worlds can have about their reality. But I think the main moral of the story is that instead of shoving their own beliefs and values towards one another, it is better to just learn from one another. As both cultures have good things that the other may have omitted. In other words, one cultures' view may provide more insight for another and vice-versa.

Here's a tip: if you're going to pay that much for a movie, go and watch the musicals at the Markham Theatre instead, well worth your money.

So finally Oscar night came and I have been rooting for Bill Murray to get his big win. To me, he's like one of the talented old guys that can't really be replaced. He has this grandpa-ish ol charm and humour that is just kind of unique to me. Its not kooky like Jim Carrey's or dumb funny like Adam Sandler's. I loved him in Groundhog day haha, and who can forget the Ghostbusters! But I thought his performance was really great in Lost in Translation probably because he seem to really relate to his character. He's also an aging hollywood star, pretty well known and can still pull off some work with his ageless charm. There was also a lot of chemistry with Charlotte Johanssen, not a romantic one but more of a stranger- meets -stranger- but- there -was- some -sort- of - connection kind of thing? Ever had one of those? hahaha. I think I had...HAHA....seriously....weird.

As I watched on into the Oscars, I started to think that Sean Penn's dramatic performance will totally overshadow Bill Murray's. I guess that's when I totally started to doubt that Bill would win. Every role that Sean Penn plays, he's always some troubled guy, screaming, kicking, yelling, punching. Man...I don't know, does that always have to be considered "acting"? Is there room for comedy? If the actor was doing the very opposite, would he win an oscar? Are some emotions more valued than others to be considered 'good' in the industry? *sigh* Poor Bill, wish they had a category for best comedic actor, that would work. I mean, oscars usually award those dramatic performances don't they? *sigh* I was glad that Sophia Coppola won the award for best original screen play, the first american woman director to be nominated for an Oscar. Wow, kudos to her. I still havn't watched the Virgin Suicides yet which was the first movie that she directed. soon soon. As for Scarlette Johanssen, keep on shining! She's like the coolest 19 year old ever. She really has a lot of potential, I gotta see her other film Girl with the pearl earring too.

That's my thoughts for now, maybe I should do an internship with Siskel and Ebert? heheheh >=) Move over Matt Lau...HAHAHAHA

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home