My family and I immigrated to Canada in 1989. I was a young and shy 6 year old educated and taught in a Christian household. The rule of the house was to only worship the one true God and to always pray before a meal. Within just a few months in the new country, we were invited to NTCBC. I used to be extremely shy and wouldn’t step foot in Sunday school with the other kids. I didn’t have much patience to sit and listen during service either. However, I was still able to learn the word of God thanks to the counselors that took the initiative and to the Vacation Bible School experience.
Within just two years in Canada, my mother discovered that she had a large tumor behind her eye. The news really hit hard because my brother and I were still very young. I don’t think I even understood the full impact of the situation then. I remembered having family from all over the world travel all the way here just to look after my Mother. They would always sit together in a huge circle to take turns praying. By God’s grace, her surgery was a success. This was for the first time in my life that I experienced the power of prayer.
During my pre-teen years I had another experience that changed my life. I had a friend that unexpectedly passed away due to a heart condition. Never would I have imagined something like this would happen to someone so young. I remember the hurt that I felt because it wasn’t something that left me over night. In fact, I was upset for months. I started to question about the meaning of life. I wanted answers and comfort for this pain that was crushing me inside. Worry and anxiety came over me, I realized that something can significantly change my life whether it may be the next hour, the next minute or second. Thus, life wasn’t under my own control. I think it was through this experience that I came to get to know God in a more personal way and also served as a wake up call about life.
Things had really changed dramatically for me as I entered high School. During that time, I struggled a lot with my identity. I started off with the wrong crowd but God had planted something inside of my heart long ago and I knew better for myself. One day I decided to give “Youth Group” (now Malachi) a try. I used to get the impression that the “church kids” were a group of goody-goodies that I could never relate to or fit in with. However, all that has changed as I joined youth group that very day. The people I met there were extremely nice and welcoming, there was something about them that was really different from other people. It felt like a place where I am accepted no matter who I am or what I’ve done. That was when I decided to stay.
God molded and changed me a lot since then. He invited me to His work from Bible study leading to worship leading. Never would I have imagined that someone that was too shy to even go to Sunday school would one day do something like this for God. I felt like God really saw me, He brought the best out of me that I never knew existed. He stood by my side and encouraged me to stay strong. I learned more and more about Him as the years went by, He became present in every part of my life. All the questions that I had about Him were all answered. Looking back, I felt like I have matured so much spiritually.
The Almighty God of the Universe loved me so much that He sent His one and only son to die for my sins. I didn’t do anything to deserve what He’s done for me nor will I ever come up with anything equal to it. Along with this wonder gift, he also offers His friendship and guidance. How wonderful can this be? As I continue to walk life’s journey, its so encouraging to know that the Almighty God of the universe is looking out for me through the good and the bad. Its also great to know that I have a purpose in life, to spread this wonderful news to people that don’t know about Him and what He’s done. Till one day meet with Him and enjoy eternal life as He promised.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home